How To Educate Your Eye For Buying Art
Dec 08, 2018
When looking at art there are several questions one might ask themselves when describing, analyzing, interpreting, evaluating and relating to it.
- How would you describe the formal elements? The texture, form, shape, colour, line,
- After looking at the painting for a moment, what observations can you make about it?
- How would you describe the people in this picture? Are they like you or are they different than you?
- What kinds of things do you see in this painting? What is happening?
- How would you describe (the place depicted in) this painting?
- What words would you use to describe this painting? What other words might you use?
- How do you think the work has been developed and made
- How would you describe this painting to a person who could not see it?
- Which objects seem closer to you? Farther away?
- What makes this painting look crowded?
- What can you tell me about the colors in this painting?
- What is the dominant color in this painting? Which color was used the most?
- What can you say about the way this person might have lived? How did you arrive at that idea?
- What do you think is the most important part of this picture?
- How do you think the artist made this work?
- What questions would you ask the artist about this work if he/she were here?
- What title would you give this painting? What made you decide on that title?
- What other titles would you give it?
- What sounds would this painting make (if it could)?
- What do you think is happening in this painting? How did you come to that idea?
- Pretend that you are inside this painting. What does it feel like?
- Why do you suppose the artist made this painting? What makes you think that?
- What do you think it would be like to live in this painting? What makes you think that?
- What do you think is good about this painting?
- Why do you think other people should see this work of art?
- Do you think the person that painted this did a good job or a bad job? Why?
- What do you think other people would say about this art?
- What grade would you give the artist for this work? How did you arrive at that grade?
- What would you do with this work if you owned it?
- What do you think is worth remembering about this painting?
RELATING TO IT:
- What does this painting remind you of?
- What interests you most about this work of art?
- How is this picture different from real life?
- What things do you recognize in this painting? What things seem new to you?
- How does this picture
The next time you visit an art gallery or museum and you observe someone staring quietly at a work of art...you now know what could possibly be running through their mind.
Take the time to really OBSERVE!